Saturday, May 31, 2008

Jakes relieved after securing pole

James Jakes expressed his relief after securing pole position and his first point of the F3 Euro Series season at Pau.

A win today would move the Englishman back into title contention after enduring a trying start in the opening races of the year at Hockenheim and Mugello.

"In the second qualifying group, I knew that whoever crossed the finishing line last would be first, because of the improving conditions," said Jakes.

"But I was the first in the bunch to cross the line and I am very pleased that the lap was good enough for pole, particularly as it was by half-a-second.

"I was already on pole before the red flag (brought out when teammate Jules Bianchi found the barriers), but I hadn't quite put the complete lap together. I gave away a tenth to Maki in the middle sector, but in the first sector I was up by three tenths.

"The two seconds that we found on the restart was mainly in me. Granted, the track was drying out, particularly in the high speed corners, but most of the improvement came from me.

"I don't mind either way if the race has a normal start or, if it remains wet, gets under way behind the safety car. My start was good in Barcelona last year in similar conditions.

"The way this season has started it means a lot to be on pole here. I have had to adapt my driving style to the team, but I am sure if you look at the success the team has had it will reap benefits.

"I just wanted this year to get moving. I am looking for a solid points haul because others are beginning to make a big margin in the championship. It is not that I was frustrated, if you look at the starts Paul [di Resta] and Romain [Grosjean] have had, they were also difficult."



  • Maldonado: I could have gone quicker
  • Jakes takes pole at Pau
  • No comments: